Made it to the end of the week, but without much respite from the cold. Indeed we had another foot of snow a couple of nights ago.
It might be chilly but it’s GLORIOUS out there. Blue sky, swathes of white and this morning: twinkles. Actually the sparkly bits do indicate that there is ice about, so although it looks fab, things are getting a bit more treacherous outdoors.
Meanwhile indoors we had a power cut. For four hours. It’s a strange business not knowing which services you’re going to have and for how long…but after checking that it was the whole village (it was) and scurrying around the house gathering candles, playing cards and a bottle opener before sunset, the time flew by!
Things that we have learnt this week:
- cold wreaks havoc with your skin. A minimum of 4 layers of face cream is mandatory and every room needs a tube of handcream;
- the candle stash must be easily accessible in the dark;
- socks need changing surprisingly infrequently (tmi?);
- not having obvious toilet and playing out facilities drives Shest quite mad;
- regular village walks in snowy blizzards are very sociable;
- a flannel provides a surprisingly thorough clean;
- Johnny the neighbours’ cat proves to be a polite house guest and
- firewood gives you splinters. Everywhere.